Ph.D. Department of Biotechnology Yonsei University (2004)
M.S. Department of Biotechnology Yonsei University (2001)
B.S. Department of Biotechnology Yonsei University (1999)
RESEARCH CAREER & ACTIVITIES
- Senior Research Scientist (2011 – 2015), Principal Research Scientist (2016 – present): Convergence Research Center for Diagnosis, Treatment and Care System of Dementia, Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST)
- Associate Professor (2012 – 2015), Professor (2016 – present): Division of Bio-Med Science & Technology, KIST School, University of Science and Technology (UST)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate (2006 – 2011): Division of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, Eshelman School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Post-doctor (2004 – 2006)- Army service: Laboratory of Cellular Function Modulator, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology.
- Medicinal Chemistry
– Novel inhibitors of abberrant GABA synthesis in reactive astrocytes
– Nrf2 activators for treatment of neurodegenerative diseases (AD, PD)
– Development of biased agonists against S1P receptors for treatment of multiple sclerosis
– GPCR target-based drug discovery for neurological disorders (depression, neuropathic pain etc)
- Evaluation for Drug Efficacy & Drug Properties
– in vitro efficacy (protein-based & cell-based tests)
– in vivo efficacy (AD, PD, MS etc)
– ADME/Tox (Drug-like properties)
- Chemical Biology
– Identification of Nrf2 activating mechanism in neurodegenerative diseases (AD, PD)
– Identification of target site & mode of action using chemicals
– Study on neuroinflammation pathway & therapeutic strategies in neurological disorders
- A novel compound VSC2 has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in microglia. Lee J. A., Kim J. H., Woo S. Y., Son H. J., Han S. H., Jang B. K., Choi J. W., Kim D. J., Park K. D.* Hwang O.* British Journal of Pharmacology. 2015, 172(4), 1087-1100.
- Discovery of vinyl sulfones as a novel class of neuroprotective agents toward Parkinson’s disease therapy. Woo S. Y, Kim J. H., Moon M. K., Han S.-H., Yeon S. K., Choi J. W., Jang B. K., Song H. J., Kang Y. G., Kim J. W., Lee J., Kim D. J., Hwang O. Y.,* Park K. D.* Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2014, 57 (4), 1473-1487.
- 2017.07. New inhibitor of aberrant GABA synthesis for Alzheimer’s disease (to MegaBioWood (affiliate of KEMIMEDI)): Total 6,000,000,000 won (Upfront: 550,000,000 won)
- 2016.12. Antifungal agent candidates for treatment of Cryptococcal Meningitis (to AmtixBio): Total 1,200,000,000 won (Upfront: 100,000,000 won)